Homemade Spätzle / Knöpfle.
You can have Homemade Spätzle / Knöpfle using 5 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Spätzle / Knöpfle
- You need of flour.
- Prepare of egg.
- Prepare of nutmeg (optional).
- It’s of salt.
- You need of sparkling water or cold water (adjust as needed. Can vary greatly depending on flour).
Homemade Spätzle / Knöpfle step by step
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients..
- The batter should be about as thick as a pancake batter. (add more water or flour if you need to adjust)..
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 1 or 2 tsp salt to it. Next I'll introduce 2 ways to make spätzle – one with the cutting board and one with a wide hole colander/tray. (If you have a spätzle press you probably know how to use it…).
- CUTTING BOARD METHOD: Place a ladleful of the batter near the edge of you cutting board. Hold it on the edge of the pot over the boiling water and flick off noodle-shaped pieces in to the pot..
- The resulting spätzle will be kind of unevenly sized and shaped but bigger and fluffier than the colander/tray method..
- WIDE-HOLED COLANDER/TRAY METHOD: If you have a colander or flat tray with wider holes, you can make spätzle with it! Simple hold it over the water and press spoonfuls of the batter into the pot..
- With this method you'll get cute, smaller and round spätzle ^^.
- LAST STEPS: Boil the batter in 3 batches so the pot doesn't get over crowded. When the spätzle float to the top they are finished (usually 2-3 minutes)..
- Scoop the spätzle out into a bowl of cold water with a strainer in it. This will prevent them from turning into a big clump. Continue cooking the rest of the spätzle. When finished drain and use as desired! Some suggestions below..
- Spätzle are great with sauces, stewed meats, gravies, etc. This photo I served them with a paprika and tomato stew..
- They are great with creamy sauces, bacon and fish too. In this photo I put some chopped spinach in the batter and served with a creamy mushroom and crabs sauce..
- Of course there's the classic Schwäbisch Linsen mit Spätzle too, where a thick lentil stew is served over top the spätzle. See recipe here: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/269888.