Old fashion sponge cake. The Best Old Fashioned Sponge Cake – A basic yet versatile sponge cake recipe that become the basis for many different desserts, trifles or dessert cakes. I have eaten of this many times with great satisfaction and expect the same in eating of the one which, I am just informed, is ready for tea. Yet, I give several others to meet all circumstances and desires.
Fold the flour and whites – do not beat – into the mixture. Bake in a moderate oven for twenty minutes. This sponge cake should be eaten with hot coffee or chocolate. You can cook Old fashion sponge cake using 11 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Old fashion sponge cake
- You need of vegetable oil.
- You need of flour.
- Prepare of cocoa powder.
- It’s of Orange Juice.
- You need of golden syrup.
- It’s of yolks.
- You need of salt.
- You need of egg whites.
- Prepare of -150g sugar (I use 100g and decorated with icing sugar).
- You need of cream of tartar (optional).
- You need of Line the base of an 8″ round pan and grease the sides (can use spring form pan).
This cake is no more work than mixing up a cake mix and is so much better. I hope you will try it the way I like it…with fresh fruit and a little whipped cream. With a bite of cake and a little sweetened whipped cream they were more than passable. Old Fashioned Hot Milk Sponge Cake.
Old fashion sponge cake step by step
- 1. Heat oil in a saucepan on low fire until just simmering. If you have a thermometer it’s around 65oC ~70oC..
- Remove and immediately add the flour and stir with a whisk until smooth. Add syrup, orange juice, salt. Stir to combine. Add egg one by one and mix until smooth and runny. Set aside..
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar until foamy then gradually add sugar to beat until firm peak form..
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and using the hand whisk to mix until combined. Pour this mixture to the meringue again and whisk quickly. At last, using a spatula to fold up the batter until no more yolk batter can be seen..
- Devide the batter in 2. Mix with 2 tbs of cocoa powder. Pour in 2 different measuring cups. Pour equally white batter and cocoa batter in to the pan at the same time..
- Use a tooth skewer to draw marble pattern..
- Preheat the oven with only the upper heating coil at 170oC. Put a tray of hot water at the lowest rack of the oven. Put the baking pan on to the 2nd rack of the oven. Bake steam bath about 40’. After 40 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150 degree with both the upper and lower heating, for another 30’ minutes..
- Remove the cake with the pan from oven and drop them to the table top from a height of about 8 cm. This is to prevent the cake from excessive shrinkage during cooling. Run a spatula round the edge of the warm cake to dislodge it from the mould. Allow the cake to cool down completely before cutting..
- Best served after 2 hours of refrigeration!.
- Cut in to slices!.
- So moist!.
- Love the soft texture!.
LOL No sponge cake or angel food cake should ever be baked in a greased pan; it won't rise like it should otherwise! Invert your pan over a bottle allow the cake to completely cool then run a sharp knife around the edges and the middle part of the pan then gently stick a finger down the side of the cake. Ingredients An old-fashioned sponge cake recipe. Loosen cake from sides of pan. See recipes for Lemon Sponge Cake, Vanilla Sponge Cake too.