Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi. Sheikh El Mehshi: Stuffed Eggplant with minced meat and rice. Sheikh Mehshi is a traditional Iraqi dish using aubergines and courgettes which are stuffed with mince and parsley and served with rice. Sheikh mahshi (also know as sheikh el-mahshi) are not only beautiful but they're also delicious, or so I've been told (I did taste the stuffing before it went into the eggplants, and it is absolutely scrumptious).
Slit them through the middle lengthtwise to form a pocket, pushing the flesh with Tags: meat stuffing, sheikh el-mehshi, vermicelli rice, yogurt sauce. I add to the tomato sauce a couple of diced roma tomatoes and cover the stuffing with the tiny tomatoes. This stuffed eggplant is a tasty alternative to heavier fried eggplant slices. You can cook Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi
- It’s 1 kg of small eggplants.
- You need 400 g of coarsely ground beef.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of large tomatoes, peeled and sliced.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, dissolved in 3 cups water.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pine nuts.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg powder.
- It’s 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of vegetable oil, for frying eggplants.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, for frying onions, pine nuts and meat.
It's similar in flavor to eggplant Parmesan, but with ground beef in the filling. Cut the mozzarella cheese slices into triangles and arrange on top of eggplant halves, or top the eggplant with shredded mozzarella cheese. This Lebanese eggplant dish, Sheik al Mehsheh, is so incredibly savory and delicious! See recipes for Aubergine Ragout too.
Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi step by step
- In a deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil and fry the eggplants on high heat until tender and brown. Remove from oil and place on a kitchen absorbent paper..
- In another skillet fry the chopped onion until golden and tender, add the pine nuts, toss for a few seconds then add the ground meat with the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir until meat is brown. Set aside..
- In a baking tray, place the fried eggplants and make a slit, lengthwise, in the middle of each one. Fill each eggplant with enough ground meat..
- Layer the tomato slices over them and pour the dissolved tomato paste. Make sure the eggplants are covered with water. Sprinkle with salt..
- Bake in the oven on medium heat for around 30 min. Do not allow all liquid to evaporate..
- Serve with vermicelli rice on the side..
- Note: You can find the recipe 'vermicelli rice' under my profile..
Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi. Eggplant Stuffed with Ground Meat and Yogurt. Eggplant's delicious meaty texture, nutty flavor and surplus of health benefits have made it a popular vegetable in many cuisines throughout the world.. Casserole Ground Beef Recipes on Yummly Crock Pot Ground Beef Eggplant Casserole, Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas, Ground Beef And Potato Gratin.