Vidalia French Onion Soup. Usually French onion soup requires that you slowly cook onions for a long time to caramelize them and develop their sweetness. If you use Vidalia onions instead of regular onions though, you can speed up the cooking process by quite a bit. This is because Vidalia onions are already very sweet.
Vidalia Onion Soup Recipe. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. View top rated Vidalia french onion soup recipes with ratings and reviews. Add a little thawed frozen broccoli near the end and top baked potatoes. You can cook Vidalia French Onion Soup using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vidalia French Onion Soup
- You need 1 1/2 pounds of Vidalia onion — sliced paper thin.
- You need 2 ounces of butter.
- You need 50 ounces of Beef stock- *(note be careful some store brands are very high in salt and as you cook it down it may get salty).
- Prepare 4 ounces of dry sherry wine (*optional see note at bottom).
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.
- You need 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare 4 slices of toasted French bread slices or any bread you like:).
- Prepare 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
- You need of Salt and pepper — to taste at the end of the cooking process.
Top focaccia with thinly sliced onions mixed with a. But to me, French onion soup is a deep-winter affair, for cold, bleak days, not these. This, however, should be its spring counterpart. Instead of heavy yellow cooking onions, it uses Vidalias, which are a sweet onion (the sweetness is said to come from the low amount of sulfur in the soil).
Vidalia French Onion Soup step by step
- For french bread, slice 4 pieces a 1/2 inch thick brush with olive oil and place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and delicious..
- In a 3 qt sauce pot/pan,Saute the onions in the butter over low to moderate heat. Carefully caramelize the onions thoroughly without burning..
- Deglaze the pan with 6 ounces (250 milliliters) of the beef stock. Cook until all the stock has gone and the browning continues..
- Repeat this process until the onions are a very dark, evenly brown.about three times. (* optional sherry wine add now).
- Add the remaining beef stock and thyme and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes to develop flavor. Adjust the seasonings..
- Serve in oven proof bowls. Fill the bowl 85% of the way. Top each portion with a slice of toasted French bread and a slice of Swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned..
- We are a high school so Sherry Wine is frowned upon:( This recipe comes out great without sherry. That being said adding 4 ounces of dry sherry just before you add the remaining stock does add some extra flavor.
The Secret to the Best French Onion Soup You'll Ever Taste Is Slow-Cooked Caramelized Vidalia Onions. French onion soup is one of my favorite soups, it's comforting and filling, perfect for lunch or dinner as a main with a salad, or serve it as a first course. Onions – Use Vidalia, red, or white onions in place of the yellow onions. Gluten-free – Make the soup gluten-free by subbing in gluten-free flour and. This hearty, homey take on French onion soup celebrates Georgia-grown Vidalia onions, which typically come into season in late April.