Carrots and Lentils in Olive Oil.
You can cook Carrots and Lentils in Olive Oil using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Carrots and Lentils in Olive Oil
- It’s of brown, green or black lentils, rinsed.
- Prepare of water.
- Prepare of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need of Onion, halved lengthwise, then sliced thin across the grain.
- It’s of ground coriander seeds (optional).
- Prepare of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare of carrots, peeled and sliced thin diagonally (about 4 cups sliced).
- Prepare of thinly sliced (1 inch) Celery.
- Prepare of tomato paste dissolved in 1 cup water.
- Prepare of sugar.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of chopped fresh mint.
Carrots and Lentils in Olive Oil instructions
- . Combine the lentils with 3 cups water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Set a strainer over a bowl, and drain. Save the water!.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy casserole or skillet. Add the onion and coriander seeds. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender, about five minutes..
- Add the garlic Celery and carrots and salt to taste. Cook, stirring, for two to three minutes until the carrots begin to soften. Stir in the dissolved tomato paste, sugar and lentils. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water from the lentils (enough to cover the lentils), salt to taste and half the mint. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 15 – 20 minutes (don't let the carrots get too mushy).
- Taste and adjust salt. Remove from the heat, sprinkle on the remaining mint, drizzle with good olive oil and lemon juice to taste. and serve, or allow to cool and serve at room temperature..